Relationship Between JHU & JHM
Johns Hopkins, the Quaker merchant, banker and businessman, left $7 million in 1873 to create The Johns Hopkins University and The Johns Hopkins Hospital, instructing his trustees to create new models and standards for medical education and health care.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital opened in 1889, and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine opened four years later.
In 1986, the hospital trustees created The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation to serve as the parent of the hospital and future subsidiary entities. In 1996, leaders of the Johns Hopkins University and the Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation came together to form Johns Hopkins Medicine, this blended governance structure has contributed to the success of our mission – excellence in patient care, research and education.
Today, Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM) is an $8 billion integrated global health enterprise and one of the leading health care systems in the United States. It unites physicians and scientists of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the organizations, health professionals and facilities of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System. JHM operates six academic and community hospitals, four suburban health care and surgery centers, and 39 primary and specialty care outpatient sites.